Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Living In A Dream: Quebec City, Canada

Quebec City is one of those charming places

that is on the top part of my to go to someday soon list


So just in case, I will have a few arrangements made


Panache - a quaint rustic restaurant at the hotel

A fabulous tub to take a nice cozy bubble bath

after a wonderful day of sight seeing and shopping.



Below are a few tips on places to eat from Robin at My Melange:


Where to eat in Old Quebec City?
*For a mid-day coffee and croissant break, head to
Paillard. They have the best crossiants in Old Quebec and their cafe au lait is served up in bowls, in true French fashion. They have great salads and sandwiches for lunch too. Grab a crusty-doughy Parisian-style baquette for the road.


*Looking for traditional French bistro food at downright bargain prices in a lively atmosphere? Follow the locals over to
Les Frères de la Côte, which is the restaurant in the Hotel du Vieux Quebec. Choose from salmon, pizza, confit de canard and osso bucco. But the deal of the century is the never-ending bowls of mussels, prepared in your choice of three different broths, (with extra bread for broth-sopping)all for under $16.


*For a special treat, head to rue Saint-Paul in Lower Town to experience a touch of the South of France.
Mistral Gagnant feels like it was plucked right from Provence. The brightly colored decor combined with the seafood-forward menu offers an experience only the French Riveira could rival. Splurge on the authentic Marsielle classic fish soup, Bouillabaise, complete with croutons and rouille. Snag one of three tables in the front window and finish off with a Pastis to help it all go down smoothly.


* The Café Experience; Many long for it-and I am no exception. And no, I am not recommending a Starbucks! I found a hidden-gem-of-a-café, in the back streets of Upper Town. Perfect for breakfast, coming in from the rain for a shot of espresso at the bar, wasting hours on your laptop or for a delicious home-made lunch prix-fixe for about $12 Canadian.
Chez Temporel exudes charm and warmth with it's dim lighting, yellow walls and mahogany-colored tables. The croissants are baked in-house and you can milk your coffee all day while reading the paper without fear of being kicked to the curb!

I can't wait to try some of these places that Robin has recommended. Has anyone else been to Quebec City? If so, do tell!!

14 comments:

  1. I've never been to Canada, let alone Quebec, but it looks gorgeous. Definitely another place to add to my "to go" list. I swear it's growing by the day!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks fabulous.I don't think that you could fail to have a good time. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a whirlwind stopover in Quebec City a few years back on our way to Ontario. It is a beautiful city indeed ~ I wish we could have stayed longer....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never really even thought about quebec before this post!

    {i need somewhere warm. next living in a dream, can you come up for a warm place for me? ugh.}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to go there too since I learned about it in French class in high school. It looks stunning. I hope that you make it there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by my blog! i'm so happy to get to know yours... never been to quebec, but this all looks properly dreamy! also didn't know about M Hemmingway book, i'll pop over to amazon and check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Never been to Canada. Would love to go though. :)
    Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quebec looks beautiful. I still can't get over that Cotswolds photo though. My heart skips a beat everytime I see it. Oh, one can dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are really pretty pictures! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Quebec. I've often thought if I didn't live here I would like to live there. Plus snow, snow, snow which I miss so much.

    Since I was born in Niagara Falls, NY, we spent a great deal of time in Canada and of course had many friends "from the other side." Those were great days too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to visit Quebec someday and when that happens this list will come in handy! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making me get the travel itches, this location seems just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have this on my list, every time a see a little piece on Quebec I am certain that I would love it. It is *like* a tiny piece of France in this side of the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old QC looks great - definitely on my places to see list!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the smile - pass it along! xxoo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin