Sunday, April 6, 2014

Blue Skies at Hearst Castle




Three months ago my mom, sister and I met in Cambria - a cute coastal town

on the Central Coast of California for a girls getaway (something we've been doing

for a few years now.)  It was the half way distance from our homes

We had a great time with lots of laughter and making fun of each other.  

Haha...  I truly look forward to these

times.  2013 was a crazy difficult year for both myself and my sister and this weekend

away was so needed!  On one of the days we took a tour of Hearst Castle.  Truthfully,

it had never been anything that was even on my to do list, but once there I was so glad

I went.  William Randolph Hearst was a fascinating man. I am currently reading a book

about his life titled The Chief and loving it.  Times were so different back then.  I didn't

take too many photos of the inside of the house, but it was extremely opulent.  

The stories that the tour guide told us were what I enjoyed most of all.  




This was the dining room and as the guide told us - he would invite people from all

walks of life - but especially the Hollywood crowd as he had a live in mistress, Marion

Davies.  There are 3 guest houses on the property for the guests to stay in.  None of

them have kitchens as he wanted everyone to eat together (the kitchen in the Castle

was huge!) and as the days went by, he always rotated the seating chart at the table - 

so that everyone would meet someone new every night. (The original social networking!)

  The newest arrival always sat by his side.   Drinks were served at around 7: 30 

and that is when he would arrive to great his guests.  

During the day he encouraged his guests to enjoy all sorts of outdoor

activities including horseback riding and swimming in his magnificent pool,

while he was working up in his office on his many business ventures.





What I loved most were the outdoor areas - the landscaping was breathtaking - beautiful

flowers, fruit trees galore, water fountains and a gorgeous view of the ocean.  The day

we were there was such a windy day and the bus ride up the winding narrow road

was a little bit frightening to me.  And to learn that originally it took days to get up that

road on horseback.  The Castle was formally named La Cuesta Encantada -

The Enchanted Hill but usually it was just called " The Ranch".

(And some ranch it is!)




The houses you will see in the photos below are all of the guest houses.  




Love these trees - I wish I could have picked a few lemons!



How gorgeous is this view?




Yes another guest house




Who wouldn't love to take a dip in this pool?





A beautiful fountain below another guest house.



And this indoor pool is stunning!





For more fascinating facts, stories and photos about this magnificent place

check out their website: Hearst Castle and if you're ever in the area by all

means check it out.  If you're driving on the Highway near their property you will

see quite a few zebras roaming - as they used to have a zoo on the property and still

have quite a few different animals.  Such an amazing place and story!


(Sorry Mom and Sis for taking so long to post these photos)



Have a beautiful week, friends!

xxoo

3 comments:

  1. Wow, now that's a home!!!

    Lovely photos Cathi, it sounds like a wonderful place to visit, it's fascinating to think of the parties & weekends that went on there isn't it? If walls could talk!!

    Thank you for comments yesterday about mothers/daughters/mothering etc...I loved reading what you had to say.

    Thinking of you, as I often am....I was on a bus that took me past Bloomsbury Square the other day & I thought of you in London :)

    Have a good week Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a spot ~ do you think they would let us have it for a weekend?? If I ever get tot he "left coast" I will just have to put it on my list of places to see. Thanks so much for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to visit the Hearst Castle. But ever since I saw the movie about his life I think of sadness and heartache when I think of his life. I really do need to read his biography too. This sounds like a wonderful thing to do with your mother and sister. Hope things are going well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the smile - pass it along! xxoo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin